Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Something I forgot

When I bought the ergo, I went down to the rowing course in Hong Kong. It is, in a word, fantastic! It's about 3500m of dead straight, 10 lane wide, canal - high walls on either side, and a bridge plus a turn at either end which reduces the wind.

So I walked into one of the clubs there, where I had a great chat with a very friendly guy, whose English was... not great, and since I know zero Cantonese, we settled on speaking a little English and a little Pu tong hua (The dialect of Mandarin which I... have heard).

Anyway, the point of the story. While I was there, I asked if I could have a paddle at some stage (not that day, since I didn't have anything with me), or even if I could join the club. He took me up to the administrator, and explained the story to the guy, who said absolutely I could join, and very efficiently took me through the process and prices.

Right up until the point where he said I had to complete a novice course first. I explained that while I'm not exactly A grade material, I am competent in a boat, and I have been rowing for a little under 17 years now. Nope, tough, have to do the novice course, because I haven't yet rowed in Hong Kong.

Fair enough. The problem, and this was where it all broke down, is that the course is only held on Saturday and Sunday, meaning I can't do it, since I work those days. Dammit!

So now I'm erging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it has been so long, perhaps they realise that you may indeed have forgotten... it's not quite like a bicycle, or so I'm told

Zak said...

You'd be surprised at how quickly it all comes back. Why just yesterday I rowed myself to a standstill on the ergo, for no better reason than that I could knock 5 seconds off my previous average split. Which is ridiculous.

What happened to taking it easy and building up slowly?