Monday, 11 August 2008

Dancing malformation

I had a great idea the other day. In one of my classes - P5, so aged around 11 - the boys and girls seriously dislike each other, and they refuse to work together.

When I first arrived, I tried forcing the issue, but that worked like... well, like something that doesn't work at all. So then I became clever(er), and said they didn't have to, but gently used my mind control tricks to get them to do so. By the end of last term, they were almost cordial to each other.

Then they had a month holiday.

The first lesson back was such a train wreck, that I (and here comes the genius) told them to write 100 words about why the opposite sex was bad. In my head, I saw deep thought, a coherent set of arguments, and something we could discuss and debate. That's not really true - I saw nothing of the sort, but one can dream.

What I never expected was the sheer brilliance that came out of the boys. The girls didn't do it.

Below, quoted verbatim, are the two boys letters I received.

"Girls are bad because girls like cry. They are bastard. They aren't active. They all days absent-mindedness. Girls are boring, not promising, unconscionable. All the contry has not chosse a woman president. Like China's president is Hu Jing Tao. America's president is Joge Bush. Girls can't not lead a city or a contry. Some girls don't like sports. Like Girls in P5B, they are quiet. Very boring, make people laugh and abominate. I think they like dun. Girls are bad and nosiey." - Luke, P5B

"Why girls is bad.
Why girls is bad? They not very very bad, but they very crazy. They like beautiful. They like new skirts, new t-shirt, new trouser, new hairstyle. They like Bobby doll. They so babyhood. They often cry. They dance very malformation. They smile very stupid. Ok." - Danny, P5B.

God I hope Danny never watches me dance - he'll think I'm a girl.

No comments: