Tuesday, 28 October 2008

What makes life extra special.

In a word, people.

And now, after that great opening line, words, those bastards, fail me. I want to say how special people are, and how lucky I have been to know the people I know, and a whole lot more besides. But I've written the paragraph innumerable times now, and it always sounds... less than it should.

Yesterday was my 30th birthday. I no longer live in the country I was born and grew up in, and so of course my group of friends that I could feasibly invite to a party is smaller. For those who don't know me, I love birthday parties. They are a wonderful excuse to get together with a group of people I like, and every year I try to have a goodie.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had booked a brewery in SA for my 30th, some years ago, but my life had different ideas. Instead, I'm in a country where I don't speak the language, with a group of people I didn't choose, doing a job I'm really starting to doubt I'm any good at, and... and here is where luck comes in. I kind of feel that it's not fair, how many good people I know, and how good they are. And now, this group I didn't choose, it just so happens that they're great as well, and that they really made my 30th a night to remember. I mean, come on - is there bad news around the corner, or am I just living a charmed life?

The summary of it is that I work with some fantastic people, who, over the last god knows how long, have been skiving off work and making the following, as a birthday present for me.


So how do I put into words how I feel right now?

No comments: